Friday, January 15, 2016

Introduction

Where to begin...?

 I've been putting off making this initial blog post because I didn't know where to start. I have things to say-- hence deciding to start a new blog in which I review {things}-- but the thing that makes this blog different from the other blogs I've made is that I don't yet have a definite target audience. I guess my target audience would be anyone who is interested in whatever {things} I intend on blogging about. So we can start there! Why am I using curly brackets when I refer to the "things" that I'm going to review? What is a curly bracket? Am I even using it/them correctly?

I'm going to answer those questions out of order, starting with
 
What is a curly bracket?
A curly bracket is a symbol that is most commonly used in mathematics to delimit, or to mark the limits or boundaries, of a set of numbers. Less commonly, it is used in writing to a similar effect of uniting similar objects, lines, or words. This is what a curly bracket looks like: {  }

Why am I using curly brackets when I refer to the "things" that I'm going to review? 
Honestly... it's because I think they're more visually appealing than my other options (quotation marks, parenthesis, etc.), and because I wanted a unifying symbol to use for everything that I review to highlight each "thing" in the title of whatever post/video/review I make. You'll see what I mean as I actually start reviewing {things}. :)

Am I even using it/them correctly?
Sure, in an abstract sort of way! From what I understand, curly brackets are usually used to group actual things within the two brackets. For example: {fish, shark, dolphin} I, however; am using them in a less restrictive manner in which each set of brackets only contains one {thing}, but all of the {things} are unified in that they are things that are being put under the spotlight in my reviews. I've always had fun playing with words and using them beyond their typical definitions, so I guess it's no surprise that I've taken to using symbols in the same manner!

And I guess I should answer a few other questions, too, like


Who are you?

My name is Rani! It's pronounced like the weather, "rainy". I'm a 25-year old Registered Dental Hygienist who decided to take up a new hobby of reviewing {things} on various social media platforms! I've always loved writing, and while product reviews aren't necessarily my passion, I do have a passion for helping people, which is usually the goal of posting a review. I plan on making both video blogs and traditional blog posts, as well as posting on other social media sites such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Influenster.

Woah, what's Influenster!?

So Influenster is the site that actually inspired me to start a blog for reviews! I tend to get verbose when I try to explain things, as I have always been a train-of-thought writer, but I will try to keep this part short... Influenster is a site that is aimed at providing helpful reviews on various products, though it seems to focus mostly on health and beauty items. They also host these fun little campaigns where they will send you a little box-- called a Vox Box-- of samples for you to try for FREE in exchange for providing an honest review of the products after you have tried them. I got my first Vox Box right before Christmas, and have had a lot of fun trying out its contents and doing little activities to earn badges on my Influenster profile. If you would like to join, you can click here to get started!

Anything else I should know?

I guess the only other thing I really should mention is that I would love to get feedback if/when you find your way to this blog! Please feel free to comment, subscribe, and/or follow me if you like what I'm doing!

One more thing! What types of {things} are you going to review?

When I was trying to think up a blog title/URL, I realized that I don't want to do reviews solely on tangible products, like most review blogs do. I want to review whatever I want to review, even things that aren't "things"! What do I mean by that? Well, I'm glad you were wondering, because I've been making a little list, and while I want to keep some of the {things} a secret until I post about them, you need examples! So maybe one day I'll review a philosophical concept, or a quote, or my day, or a person. I don't want to limit myself to reviewing makeup, cat litter, books/movies/TV shows, etc. I want to promote conversations and thinking. I want my readers to come to their own conclusions about any of the {things} I review, but I would like to help along the way if I can!


Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for future posts!:)

 --Rani

No comments:

Post a Comment