Tuesday, January 26, 2016

{Chicken Fajita Ore-Ida Totchos}

If you follow me on Instagram, or are my friend on Facebook, you may have seen me post pictures of my original Ore-Ida Totchos creation over the past two weeks. I promised to follow up with a recipe, and after cooking this dish two times, I think I know which elements worked best and which could be omitted, so here I am with my final recipe for my Chicken Fajita Ore-Ida Totchos! It's a really easy and surprisingly delicious and fun meal that both adults and children will love! (And, as an added bonus, it makes for good leftovers, too!)



Chicken Fajita Ore-Ida Totchos       
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 1 2-pound bag of Ore-Ida Tater Tots, prepared to your preference (I prefer deep-fried!)
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 2 tbsp of Olive oil
  • 3-4 fresh chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 onion, cut into slices
  • 1 bell pepper, cut into slices
  • 1 package of fajita mix (Or, you can make your own fajita mix, to taste, if you have sensitive palates that don't like spicy food. If you buy a premade mix, I would recommend a powder mix as opposed to a liquid mix, as the powder mix has a better flavor.)
  • 1/4 cup of water if you use a power-based fajita mix

    Cheese Dip Ingredients:
  • 1 block of Velveeta cheese
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1 roma tomato, diced
  • 1/4 tsp of red pepper

    Additional Toppings:
  • 1 package of Mexican blend cheese
  • 1 container of sour cream
  • 1 jalapeno, diced
  • 1 jar of salsa

Directions:

If you prefer extra crispy tots, like I do, you'll need to go ahead and preheat your deep fryer (or oven)! Assuming that your chicken, onion, bell pepper, tomato, and jalepeno are all cut up, open your black beans and start heating them up on a low heat setting. They should be precooked, so you really just need to warm them up. 

Next, put your olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat and add the chicken. As the chicken is cooking, mix your fajita powder and 1/4th cup of water in a separate container. 

Put your tater tots in the deep fryer or oven, and continue to keep an eye on them!

Once the chicken is mostly cooked (see: completely white, but not yet browned), mix in your bell pepper and onion and cook for another minute or two. Add most of the fajita mix, reserving about two teaspoons for the cheese dip. Turn the heat down to simmer/low, and place a lid on the pan.

Now, it's time to make the cheese dip! Dice the Velveeta and add it in a bowl with the diced tomato, 1/2 cup of milk, and (if you like some heat) 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper. Heat in the microwave in 30-second increments until completely melted and mixed, stirring between each turn in the microwave.

At this point, your tots should be ready! I prefer to eat mine in a bowl: layer the tots, then chicken/vegetables, black beans, cheese dip, sour cream, cheese, and any other toppings (jalepenos and salsa would go great on these Totchos!) that you prefer, and you're ready to enjoy!

For more Ore-Ida Totchos recipes, check out the Kraft Recipes Totchos hub!

**As I mentioned in my {Influenster's #JingleVoxBox} post, I received my bag of Ore-Ida Tater Tots complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.**




No comments:

Post a Comment